We look at pretty wedding cakes all day here at The Knot, but each year there are those delicious creations that make us want to become bakers just so we can make our own (wedding or no wedding!). And 2014 proved to be a super stylish year indeed in the wedding cake department. Even though we saw the rise of creatively-displayed alternative wedding desserts like doughnuts, cake push-pops and dessert tables, the humble old wedding cake has also proved its staying power. In fact, the traditional wedding cake has been reinvented in fresh new ways with trends like painted cakes, single-layer cakes and even the return of the pillar cake. See below for our edit of the best wedding cakes from the past year.
1. Best of Sugar Flowers: Bright Floral Wedding Cake
Cake: Ana Parzych Cakes; Photo: Mel & Co.
2. Best of Fresh Flower Cakes: Mint Cake With Coral Charm Peonies
Cake: Polkadots; Photo: The Nichols Photography
3. Best of Ruffled Cakes: Coral Cake With Sugar Flowers
Cake: City View Bakehouse; Photo: Rachel Peters Photography
4. Best of Naked Cakes: Red Velvet Wedding Cake
Cake: Wicked Cake Creations; Photo: Jenny Haas Photography
5. Best of Metallic Cakes: Gold and Damask Wedding Cake
Cake: Sugar Fancies; Photo: One Eleven Photography
6. Best of Lace Cakes: White Wedding Cake With Moss
Cake: Art of Cake; Photo: Jasmine Star Photography
7. Best of Modern Cakes: Grey Geometric Wedding Cake
Cake: Intricate Icings Cake Design; Photo: Tess Pace Photography
8. Best of Painted Frosting Cakes: Lavender Wedding Cake
Cake: Sarah’s Cake Shop; Photo: Lisa Hessel Photography
9. Best of Quilted Cakes: Wedding Cake With Blush Flowers
Cake: Vanilla Bake Shop; Photo: Amy & Stuart
10. Best of Tall Tier Cakes: Six-Foot-Tall White Wedding Cake
Cake: Sylvia Weinstock Cakes; Photo: Jennifer Lindberg Weddings
Which of these gorgeous wedding cakes is your favourite, Knotties?
by Simone Hill