Marriage on your mind? She’ll be telling the story of how you proposed to friends and strangers for the rest of her life, so put your own spin on one of these ideas to make sure it’s memorable. (Hint: If you haven’t found the ring yet, check out our ring photo gallery.)
Best Public Marriage Proposal Ideas
1. Have a flair for the dramatic? Get in touch with the stage manager of an appropriately themed production and propose after the cast’s curtain call.
2. Take out a full-page ad in a newspaper you know your girlfriend reads daily.
3. Arrange a surprise proposal with a street caricaturist. Have him sketch a picture of you two with word bubbles. Yours will read, “Will you marry me?” and hers will say, “Yes!”
4. Pay the divers at an aquarium to put on a proposal show inside their biggest fish tank. Give them a handwritten sign that says, “Will you marry me?” to hold up against the glass.
5. Send your girlfriend on a treasure hunt. Start with a clue at home; then send her on a tour of your favorite spots all over town. When she gets to the last hint, the prize should be you on one knee.
6. Go out for a night of dancing and ask the DJ or bandleader to pass you the mic so you can dedicate a song and propose on the dance floor.
7. Hire a skywriter to spell out your proposal for everyone around to see.
8. Flying anytime soon? Use the plane’s loudspeaker system (of course, run your plan by the flight attendants first) and propose at 35,000 feet.
9. Movie buffs? Ask your neighborhood theater to run an ad featuring your proposal and make sure you get there in time for the previews.
10. Gather a bunch of your friends and family for a party. Have everyone in attendance put on a T-shirt bearing one of the letters in the phrase “Will you marry me?” When you walk into the room with your girlfriend, suggest a group picture and let the shirts speak for themselves.
by The Knot