x

What should i do with the kids!

Home Forums The Knot Help What should i do with the kids!

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  EmeraldBride 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

We arent getting married till next april but i have 17 kids from the ages of 1 to 15 coming to this wedding plus 3 babies under 2 months.  We are having a lunch wedding and i dont want the kids to be bored and play up so trying to come up with things to organise.  majority are between 10 and 15 and 6 from the age of 1 and 7.  Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Id appreciate any suggestions.

Jennaya88

We also have 17 kids ranging from 1-14 years old. Ours is an afternoon garden wedding and we’ve hired some lawn games that kids and adults can enjoy. Plus for the kids wedding favours I went to the reject shop and bought things like mini notebooks and erasers, playing cards, little colouring books with crayons, bubbles and knuckle jacks to keep them entertained. All up it cost me about $30. 

Jennaya88

We also have 17 kids ranging from 1-14 years old. Ours is an afternoon garden wedding and we\’ve hired some lawn games that kids and adults can enjoy. Plus for the kids wedding favours I went to the reject shop and bought things like mini notebooks and erasers, playing cards, little colouring books with crayons, bubbles and knuckle jacks to keep them entertained. All up it cost me about $30. 

Jennaya88

Sorry didn’t mean to send that twice!

Mrs. Bum

There’s 2 options to consider;
    1. No Kids
    You seem very stressed about having children at your wedding and ensuring they behave. I had this same issue. I love children, but I have decided for my own wedding to have an age cut-off of 14 because I feel most children are too unpredicable for such an important day and many don’t behave because they are out of routine and/or the excitement of the day just overwhelms them. Not having children at your wedding could be an option for you too and don’t feel bad about it, people have been surprisingly understanding for my wedding (some even said they were relieved!). The tip with this one is to give plenty of notice and also to ask your friends and family to spread the word.

2. Kids
    The second option is that the kids come along and have a great time. The babies you don’t have to worry about – They are too little to know what is happening or need entertainment. Ages between 1-3, Mum and Dad will know what is best for them, just ask them to bring their childs favorite toy, snack and anything else that they like to keep their child entertained as children of that age benefit from routine and familiarity. Ages 4-10, colouring in books are great or a pack of colourful picture cards to play “go fish” or “snap” etc.!! Ages 10-15, treat as if they were any other guest. Children under 12 will generally have a childrens meal, but especially the girls will love watching all the wedding formalities unfold and can generally keep themselves entertained and behaved!!

Best of Luck for your wedding!!

HappyG

Wow, that’s a lot of kids of all ages.

The others have suggested giving them activities, which I was going to suggest as well, so I’ll skip that.

It will add to the cost a little, but I would suggest adding a child-care-worker/nanny or two, as well as consider a children’s entertainer for the little ones (you could do something themed to your wedding if you really want to), something like a fairy would work wonders. You could also look into something like a petting zoo if you’re willing to splash the cash because it would be fun for all ages.

We’re thinking of setting up an area with loads of pillows and blankets and activities like colouring books and are considering hiring a friend who has a qualification in childcare and works at a childcare centre to reduce some of the costs while alleviating the fears of protective parents.

thank you girls for all the great ideas.  definately like the ideas.  sometimes just hard to think outside the box.  WIll see what FH thinks now.

Hi KitKat, I agree with Happy G, I would hire a couple babysitters to look after, get involved with, entertain the kids. I was going to have a few kids as well, and we were arranging a table to the side with a babysitter and a lot of different activities, colouring in books, some toys that wouldn’t be too noisy, beanbags and pillows would be good, maybe have a dress ups box? be conscious of getting noisy or messy toys as other guests may get annoyed if the kids are too loud, or if they get playdough over their beautiful dress, etc.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Browse Local Suppliers