x

Wedding and Bridesmaid dress shops in Melbourne

Home Forums Dresses & fashion Wedding and Bridesmaid dress shops in Melbourne

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Bec2013 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Bec2013

Hi All,
    Hoping for some help! My bridesmaid and I are planning to go to Melbourne for a few days in April. We want to go to a few bridal shops and bridesmaid shops. Any reccommendations? Wedding dresses I like are ball gown, some bling (not too much), fairly classic. She wants knee-length dress. Anything else we should check out while we are in Melbourne?
    Thanks!

Jennaya88

I’m going to Fairytales Bridal Boutique in Moonee Ponds. I’ve heard good things about them and they’re pretty big. They also have a really big range of designers. Or go to Sydney road in Brunswick, otherwise known as the bridal Mecca of Melbourne with heaps of bridal shops and big designers like Rafaelle Ciuca and Marianna Hardwick.

Fifi1987

Hi Bec, I can highly recommend Brides on Collins and Baccini and Hill. My dress was originally from Brides Of Melbourne last year, they went bankrupt, I lost my dress and the nearly $6000 I paid. Luckily for me the designer, Wendy Makin, still made my dress free of charge. Brides of Melbourne are operating again, I would avoid them at all costs.
    In my opinion you cant beat Brides on Collins, the ladies there are fabulous. I went to Fairytales, while the girls were nice the change rooms and the shop itself is very very small, I was told I was only allowed to try on 4 dresses, I left. 
    Marianna Hardwick is gorgeous too or try Karen Willis Holmes. Happy hunting

Jennaya88

I just bought my gown from Fairytales and they were amazing. Fifi when did you go shopping? Apparently they moved a little while ago. I had no problem with the space and I was allowed to try on as many dresses as I liked so perhaps they changed the rules? All that didn’t matter anyway because I bought the 3rd dress I tried on! The consultant was so lovely and knew exactly what would look good on my body and she was absolutely correct! 

Bec2013

Thanks girls! I’ve looked on other forums, and it seems to be mixed reviews about Fairytales, I might give it a go. I rang a few places today, and as my budget is $2500, it isn’t worth going to some of them. So that’s disappointing – I wish they had prices on websites! A friend said there is a shop in Melbourne that sells dresses worn once in magazine shoots and are then sold as ‘second hand’. She couldn’t remember the name, but I looked online and wonder if it is Bridal Revival? Anyone know? Any reviews of Bridal Revival?

Bec2013

I thought I would just let you know how we went, in case someone else needs similar advice. I went to Hills in Hollywood and Raffaele Ciuca in Armadale, Fairytales in Monnee Ponds and Impression Bridal Australia in the city. Others reccommended in this thread were either not to my taste (nothing wrong with them, I just didn’t see anything I loved on the website), too expensive, or I had planned to look at them but bought my dress beforehand.
    Hills in Hollywood was alright, the lady was lovely. They didn’t have a huge range of wedding dresses, but had heaps of bridesmaids dresses. They were very affordable as well. I think we will get bridesmaid dresses there.
    Raffaele Ciuca was a beautiful shop. It was beautifully decorated and you could see the dresses very well. They had a huge range as well. Service was fine, but could have been better. They didn’t allow photos. I understand why, but was disappointing.
    Fairy Tales’ store was huge and they had the biggest range of dresses. They were having a sale, and heaps of dresses were under $1000. But they were good quality and didn’t look/feel cheap. Service was a bit funny at the start as they didn’t speak much to us and just told us to look around. But when our consultant came she was just lovely. I ended up getting my dress there and I’m so happy with it. I had a budget of $2500 and spent just under $2000, so very happy with that. I overheard them saying on the phone that on Saturdays they suggest only trying on about 4 dresses as they are busier, so that might have been what happened to Fifi. We were there on a Tuesday and could try on as many as we wanted, but I bought the first one.
    Impression Bridal Australia was pretty good for bridesmaids dresses. We found a style that really suited my bridesmaid. However, I didn’t like the colour they had that was closest to our colour scheme (neither did my bridesmaid). And although the dress was really nice, the price of $300 seemed a bit steep for what it was. No problem spending that much, but it was a very simple dress. They also needed dresses ordered 6month in advance, which I think is ridiculous for bridesmaids! They wouldn’t allow photos. As I said, I understand why. But my sister is my other bridemaid, she lives in Port Macquarie, and couldn’t come. There is no way I would buy a dress without her seeing it, and they don’t even have the dress online.

BEC2013, they generally don’t allow photos so people don’t take a photo in the dress then have a dress maker or someone else copy the dress. It’s pretty annoying as it can but hard to remember but everywhere I went to in Sydney was likebthat

Bec2013

Yeah, I know that is why (also so you don’t buy online). But there is no way I would buy a bridesmaid dress without one of my bridesmaids even seeing it, and she couldn’t look it up on their website as it is not on there. So they really lost a sale due to that. Many shops did allow photos, both in Melbourne and in Tassie. I found those shops in general more friendly and relaxed and would therefore be much more likely to purchase from them, even if I could get the dress cheaper.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Browse Local Suppliers