x

Too early to go dress shopping??

Home Forums Dresses & fashion Too early to go dress shopping??

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  KateD5 3 years ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hi guys,
    I have been obsessed with everything ‘Weddings’ ever since i got engaged 3 months ago.
    Myself and my fiance have decided on having a long engagement to be able to save for our wedding and building our dream home…. only problem is, i’m itching to go dress shopping now, however i have 1 year and 10 months until my wedding.
    When is it ok to go dress shopping????

Kittikats

Hello Maya,

I’d say it is too early to go dress shopping yet as chances are you haven’t picked your style, theme and set a full budget yet.

It would be dreadful if you picked something now and paid a deposit to only find out later that:

* It doesn’t suit the style or theme of your wedding (small garden wedding and you have a dress with a train to rival Kate Middleton nee Windsor)

* Closer to the date you’ve actually changed your mind about what you’d like and this dress is no longer it and you’re stuck with it because its expensive / too hard to get a new one.

* It doesn’t suit the time you’ll be getting married (i.e light tea legnth gown for mid winter)

* You fall in love with a dress only to find out it is way out of your budget – after you’ve put down a deposit.

My advice is get into all the other wedding aspects first (colours, theme, loccations and special extras/surprises that make your day you and unique). Still exciting, still wedding related. Once you’ve got all that sorted and it is closer to time go scouting for dresses (say a year to 9 months out.

If you really can’t stop looking at wedding dresses, make a scrapbook of different ones you like from magazines and note the aspects next to each picture (i.e *like the neckline on this one. *Love the back details and buttons. *The lace and beading on the bodice is amazing. *Love how this one drapes and skims the body)

This way when you are ready to go dress shopping you’ll have an idea of the kind of things you like and what will suit your theme.

And don’t worry, I’m in the same boat as you (1 year and 8 months away)… except I’ve already been engaged for almost 2 years!

Thank you so much for your helpful advise Kittikats! Good luck with your planning!

KateD5

Just remember to order your dress at least 7 – 8 months before the wedding, as it takes them about 6 months to get it in and do fittings/alterations. I ordered mine with 8 months to go and am cutting it fine!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Browse Local Suppliers