x

No Gifts?

Home Forums Planning & etiquette No Gifts?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  HappyG 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Syropae

Hi everyone!
    I’m in the process of creating my wedding website, as I have a number of invited guests coming from overseas (quite a ways!).
    One of the things I’m struggling with is how to politely write no gifts? Although we’re a new couple/first marriage, I would like my guests, especially my international ones to know that we are not expecting gifts, their presence is enough. This is because those coming will be flying in from Canada or England to Australia, which is expensive enough as it is. 
    We have chosen not to register as we do not require anything, and although monetary gifts are lovely, we don’t expect anything.
    Is there a polite way to phrase this on the website? Many websites have had different opinions, I can’t seem to find an answer. 

Portia

What about “Your presence is the only present desired.”? 

Lisa-P

I actually saw a segment on Sunrise or The Morning Show the other day and apparently it’s a big no no to mention wedding gifts even if your asking for them to not bring one. But then on the other hand they said asking for a donation to charity instead is fine – so I’m a bit confused on the whole issue.

I’m sure there are cute little poems out there asking for no gifts… perhaps see if you can find one on Google?

Bec87

Cute poems are always a nice way. However if your stuck about it seeming a little rude to mention then talk to your parents and bridal party. They are usually first port of call for gift/registry questions from the guests. Ask them to spread the word. Whatever you do, there will be people who still buy gifts. We are getting married in Fiji next year. Due to the costs involved with our family joining us, we have told them no gifts. However my mum has already said that she can’t get us nothing for our wedding. 

HappyG

A lot of people don’t buy gifts anymore, partly due to cost and partly because they don’t know what would be appropriate. Especially because so many couples already live together and are all set up by the time they get married, and because so many don’t last long.
    I guess the best thing to do is to let them buy something if they insist but don’t press the issue. If you insist either for or against gifts, people may think you’re ungrateful.
    Donating to a charity that has personal meaning to you is now also very popular and is a great way to avoid gifts. Just set up a donation site or go through the charity and tell people the total amount raised in the Thankyou cards.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Browse Local Suppliers