x

How to get nieces and nephews involved in wedding ceremony.

Home Forums The Knot Help How to get nieces and nephews involved in wedding ceremony.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  HappyG 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

We are having a garden wedding.  We are having a maid of honor and a best man.  My fiancé and I have four nieces and nephews between us.  At the time of the wedding the girls will be 13 and 15 years and the boys will be 10 and 12.  We are both incredibly close with our nieces and nephews and very much want them to be part of our wedding.  I’m just not sure how to get them involved.  Does anyone have any suggestions.

Hi Kitkat,
    My advise would be to have them doing smaller duties which would make them feel important and that they were part of your day. Examples would be:
    – You could ask if your niece and nephew would like to be an usher handing out the booklets as wedding guests arrive at the ceremony
    – They could also be involved with reading a poem or verse during the ceremony
    – Another idea could be to have your older niece as a junior bridesmaid so she would be part of the bridal party and with the younger boy as a pageboy. I remember being a flowergirl when I was 10 because I was close to my aunty, and she wanted me to be part of the ceremony
    – If one or more of them had a special talent like singing or playing a musical instrument  or anything that they would like to present during your reception or ceremony while the signing of the register
    Hope you are able to use at least one of those ideas, from experience kids are always happy even doing the smallest task if you make them feel that they are carrying an important role in your wedding.

Hi Kitkat,
    My advise would be to have them doing smaller duties which would make them feel important and that they were part of your day. Examples would be:
    – You could ask if your niece and nephew would like to be an usher handing out the booklets as wedding guests arrive at the ceremony
    – They could also be involved with reading a poem or verse during the ceremony
    – Another idea could be to have your older niece as a junior bridesmaid so she would be part of the bridal party and with the younger boy as a pageboy. I remember being a flowergirl when I was 10 because I was close to my aunty, and she wanted me to be part of the ceremony
    – If one or more of them had a special talent like singing or playing a musical instrument  or anything that they would like to present during your reception or ceremony while the signing of the register
    Hope you are able to use at least one of those ideas, from experience kids are always happy even doing the smallest task if you make them feel that they are carrying an important role in your wedding.

Thanks, Pocadot

HappyG

Pocadot pretty much summed it up, giving them little things to do will make them feel included and will also take some stress off your mind knowing that the little things are covered, simply have the bridal party supervise.

Tossing petals, handing out books, food, or just being cute. Give them little things that don’t take much practice and are age-appropriate (for example, you wouldn’t have a 5 year old hand out heavy trays of wine, but you might have him toss confetti or blow bubbles). Maybe have them work on a craft project like the ‘just married’ sign or tying tin cans or streamers together to put on the getaway car?

Thanks so much ladies for your advise.  Sounds like a plan.  The boys 10 and 12 just want to wear a suit.  The 16 year old and 14 year old niece want to be all dressed up and have more of a role. The kids have been thinking about it more than my partner and I at this stage.

HappyG

That’s great, usually they’ll indicate to you what they really want to do. You may have to tell them that as much as you know they want to do something they’re not quite old enough or would need help, but there’s usually ways you can work around it.

For example, one of them might think they’re a whiz on the computer and can help make invites, leaving you with something covered in WordArt and ClipArt; but you could re-direct them into helping you to stamp the invites, add ribbons, glitter or assembling booklets.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Browse Local Suppliers