x

Help!! I'm an American marrying an Australian and I need advice!!

Home Forums The Knot Help Help!! I'm an American marrying an Australian and I need advice!!

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Simple Weddings 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

<p>Hello! I’m needing some advice on the process of marrying an Australian. I live in America and he lives in Australia. We are just a little confused about the process. Wonder if there is a faster way? Wonder about the visa process. Time. Ways I can stay there while I wait for the partner visa to come through. I love him so much and will do anything I have to to wake up next to him everyday for the rest of my life!! If you have any advice please let me know! I’d really be so grateful!! </p>

<p>Hello Sarah, </p>
    <p>                   The first thing you need is tofile your NOIM (notice of intent to marry) ths needs to be filed one month before you can wed, and is valid for 18 mths after lodging. </p>
    <p>Only one of you need to sign to file the NOIM the other can sign on the day of the wedding if need be, unfortunately as a celebrant I have no duristriction for Visa, Celebrants can provide a visa letter staing that you have booked them as your celebrant. </p>
    <p>Sorry you will have a lot of paperwork ahead of you, I have been involved with a few couples in this situation, it is not an easy or quick process. </p>
    <p>I wish you all the best and hope that you are in each others arms soon </p>
    <p> </p>
    <p>Leisa Perth Celebrantplus</p>
    <p> </p>

It seems your question is Who can get married in Australia? What if one partner is Australian and other partner is an overseas citizen?

Answer: According to civil marriage laws, any couple over the age of 18 who are not presently married, can get married and have a civil marriage contract. The requirements for a civil partnership marriage are not onerous. It doesn’t matter if one partner is Australian and the other partner an overseas citizen. The civil marriage act says that it doesn’t even matter if both partners are not Australian!

As you can see, your civil marriage rights are pretty easy to enjoy.

If you want to know more details please visit this page: http://www.simpleweddings.com.au/civil-marriage

If you want to get married quickly, without fuss and with affordable rate please hire Christopher Steele from Simple Weddings.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Browse Local Suppliers