x

Etiquette with choosing a date

Home Forums Planning & etiquette Etiquette with choosing a date

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Kittikats 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Sarah Wood

First time poster…Newly engaged.

I am wondering and hoping for some advise from fellow brides.

Is it polite to book our Wedding day on the Easter long weekend?
    We have a lot of family and friends coming from interstate and country areas. Can we ask them to give up their entire Easter long weekend to attend our wedding?
    Also, is it too much to expect the extra cost of hotel rooms etc?
    We would like to choose this date as Day light savings is still active, plus it won’t be too cold.

Thankyou for any help

HappyG

To be honest, as a general rule you shouldn’t plan your wedding on a public holiday for a number a of reasons, such as the issues of extra cost, inconvenience and the impact it may have for people of certain religious beliefs.

Not only can it be costly and difficult for you, with many vendors not being available during that time or charging extra, having fewer staff or not having access to all their tools of the trade etc. But these same issues could mean your guests may have more difficulty finding accommodation and it may be more expensive.

Also, as I’m sure you know, easter is a significant religious event for many people, and they may not be available due to ceremonial processes such as mass or get-togethers with their friends and family. For many families this may also be one of the few long weekends they get to enjoy away from work/study with their family; so that also needs to be taken into account.

Obviously you can set any day you like, but I advise taking the needs of your guests into account, and whether it will be a disadvantage to have an Easter wedding. There will be plenty of nice weather and daylight savings time to go around, so don’t be afraid to look at your options.

Kittikats

I’m going to agree with HappyG on this one.

I mean you CAN ask them to give it up but I don’t think anyone is going to be really happy about it because if you look at it from your guest perspective:

1) I’d find it rude and presumptive to have to give up one of my rare holiday weekends to attend a wedding – especially since I work most weekends.
    2) I’m not going to spend any time with my family on the holiday, which I would proably rather do, If I’m not related to you such as a best friend or work aquaintence
    3) I’m going to have book in a high peak time for hotels, flights and rental cars putting extra and unnecisary strain on my wallet.
    4) Some people might think that you are counting on them saying “no” becuase it is a holiday and would have to send a present so they don’t seem rude – making them think you are doing a present grab.

Also it works out less desireable for you because:
    1) Public holidays mean take your regular quotes and double them due to increased labour cost (and wedding cost are already expensive!)
    2) Thats assuming people working your wedding (waiters, catering and bar staff etc) don’t call in “sick” or just refuse to work a public holiday meaning your wedding will be short staffed.
    3) Your hotels, flights etc will be far more expensive with the double whammy of wedding plus public holiday.

All in all, I would advise against it. Hold it the weekend before or the weekend after if you really want that time of year. Think of your wallet and the needs of others

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Browse Local Suppliers