x

Civil & Religious Ceremonies

Home Forums Ceremony & reception details Civil & Religious Ceremonies

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  JessicaFay 2 years ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Denuez

Hi All,

I’ve found myself in a predicament. I’d like to have a Religious Ceremony and a Civil Ceremony.
    I was wondering IF anyone has done that? If so can you tell me which order you’d do it in? Wedding Day Timeline? etc. I’M CLUELESS.

Thankyou.

JessicaFay

Once you have had one of the ceremonies, you are already married – the second is basically a renewal of vows (and do you really need to do this straight after getting married?).

You also need to look at it from a practical point of view. Have you ever been to a religious marriage ceremony? They go forever, as they almost always include a full mass. Can you imagine sitting through that and then being asked to sit through another half hour ceremony that goes over basically the same thing? Also, religious ceremonies almost always have to held in a church and they will not allow you to have a civil ceremony on the grounds – would you have the civil ceremony at the same place as your reception or would you ask your guests to travel to three different locations over the course of the day?

If you would like some religion added into your day without the stuffiness of a church ceremony, this can be achieved in a number of ways – some priests/reverends/pastors are happy to conduct ceremonies outside of the church (although you may have to do a bit of searching to find one) and you can introduce some religious readings into your ceremony. One thing that my partner and I are doing is having our union blessed by a priest the week before our civil ceremony. Both our mothers are quite religious, but we aren’t in the slightest. So, to keep the peace, we agreed to the blessing. Only our immediate families are coming, the blessing will take place at the end of Sunday Mass and we are going out for lunch afterwards.

Denuez

I was raised a catholic and so was my partner we are not religious but we’ve thought about it for the family.

JessicaFay

As I mentioned in my first post, neither my partner nor I are religious but we were also raised in Catholic families. Whilst we know our mothers would both love us to get married in a church, it’s just not us. So, we are getting the union blessed the week before (not sure if all priests will do this, but ours was happy to) and are including a reading from the bible in the actual ceremony.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with wanting to include something that will make both your families happy, but I do think two ceremonies (especially on the same day) is overkill. Can’t you compromise in a way similar to how we have done? Or just have the religious ceremony and be done with it?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Browse Local Suppliers