Weddings are all about planning! If you’ve ever wanting to scratch up on your ‘time management’ skills, it’s now! We’re here to lend a helping hand by compiled a must-read checklist to get you ready for your walk down the aisle.
12 OR MORE MONTHS BEFORE:
- Decide on your wedding size and start drawing up your guest list.
- If you have children, ask them to be part of your wedding party — a great way to involve them in your union.
- Start searching for ceremony and reception sites.
- Draw up a budget (check out The Knot Wedding Budgeter, a tool you can use once you’ve registered with us here!).
8-10 MONTHS BEFORE:
- Start shopping for your dress. If you’ll be wearing something that requires a few alterations, or doesn’t need to be ordered, you can wait until six months before.
- Book a photographer and videographer. If your wedding will be casual, have relatives bring their own cameras and video equipment.
- Book your florist.
- Envision the entertainment. Will you book a band or DJ? Full orchestra or quartet? Perhaps your uncle’s Polka band?
6-8 MONTHS BEFORE
- Decide on a menu. For an informal affair, have a barbecue or luncheon at “your” restaurant.
- Consider letting your bridesmaids pick their own dresses — you choose the colour.
- Start planning your honeymoon (and arrange a babysitter for the kids).
- Start working on a song list. For a backyard bash, make a CD or fill your iPod with your favourites.
4-6 MONTHS BEFORE
- Attend pre-wedding counselling (if needed).
- Start shopping for invitations (including children in the wording is a thoughtful touch).
- Start shopping for wedding rings.
- Choose the groom’s attire — it can be as casual as chinos and a polo, or as formal as a tux.
3 MONTHS BEFORE
- Hire wedding day transportation.
- Order wedding rings (consider inscribing your names and your children’s names on the inside).
- Order family medallions (placed around the neck of each child during the ceremony to symbolize the creation of a new family).
- Finalise your guest list.
- Attend parties in your honour (have a joint shower with a cool theme like wine tasting!).
2 MONTHS BEFORE
- Mail invitations.
- Writing your own vows? Start now.
- Find out and apply for the necessary legal requirements for getting married at your state’s or territory’s Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages; you can find a list of the individual Australian registries at Australia.gov.au.
1 MONTH BEFORE
- Make last minute adjustments to flowers and music.
- Make wedding programs detailing how you met and who your families are.
- Have final dress fittings if necessary — make sure your bridesmaids and bridal party do this too!
TWO WEEKS AND COUNTING
- Check your marriage license has arrived.
- Get one last haircut or trim before the big day.
- Make a list of songs you want to play, and songs you can’t bear to hear.
- Call guests who haven’t returned their RSVPs.
1 WEEK BEFORE
- Give caterers a final head count.
- Make a seating chart (a modern tradition is to sit with your kids, if you have any, rather than with your bridal party).
- Confirm all arrangements.
2-3 DAYS BEFORE
- Get a manicure (If either of you has a daughter, take her, too).
- Attend the rehearsal dinner.
- Reconfirm your flower order (where and when they will be delivered).
- Organise payment for final balances.
- Enlist someone to return hired supplies after the wedding.
- Assign someone the task of dealing with questions or problems during the party.
- Make sure all professionals have an emergency phone number to call you on the wedding day.
- Make sure your dress is steamed and ready to go; ditto for the groom’s attire.
- Get a good night’s sleep!
- Document in a journal how you felt before your big day. This will be great to reflect on during future anniversaries.
- Enjoy yourselves!
by The Knot